Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Spring Handmade Market

minouette table north end
minouette table south end

And my view:
my view of the prints and giraffesmy view of the pillows and magnets

I most enjoyed meeting my fellow artisans. I enjoyed talking with table-neighbour Jesse of All Things Small. The elder of her two sons (at 2.5) bought (with the help of his grandmother) bought one of my magnets. He was very specific about wanting the tiger, which made me smile. Seated behind me was Pam of lurearts. She had been at the Etsy meeting at the Work Room, so I had met her before. We swapped my Urban Dodo pillow for a gorgeous green and blue ceramic ring and a pendant from her shop. I also got to meet Emily of nestingemily. She is a multimedia artist working in two of my favorite things: ceramics and textiles (especially felt). I know that she is a friend of my friend Tanis- so it feels like a community of craftspeople, even when it stretches thousands of kilometers across the country. (Though Emily and I are both former residents of B.C.) Emily has had a lot of well-earned attention across the blogosphere, so I have been a fan of her work for some time. She told me she has been a fan of my prints for some time, which is really gratifying. We swapped one of my rabbit prints for her polar bear with lace texture in ceramic, who is dreaming (shown on an embroidered felt inset) of snow. I can not wait to put it up. Pam sent me a lovely thank you note and I replied how much I enjoy swapping with other creators - especially those who create things in media in which I do not work. Also, since my work tends to be all about COLOUR and pattern, I love collecting art which might be about subtlety of texture and delicacy of colour.

Thanks to everyone who came by!

Also, a shout out to the Trans Canada Etsy Team who was encouraging people via twitter to come by while I was busy at the show! Thanks, I really appreciate that.

No comments: