Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mmm... Coffee

mmm... coffee linocut with caffeine molecule

Ah... that's better. Now I've had a coffee, I can face the day, and contemplate doing things which require higher brain functions, like carving letters in reverse, or the molecular structure of caffeine. This is a first edition linoleum block print, in a rich, dark, coffee-brown on sand-coloured recycled paper from India. The edition is limited to 10 prints on standard 8.5" by 11" paper (21.5 cm by 27.7 cm). The print is my illustration of a coffee mug and how the aroma triggers me to remember how much I depend on coffee. The molecule is caffeine, a bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid and psychoactive stimulant, which keeps us coming back for more coffee. The molecule contains carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen atoms, each of which are shown somewhat differently. Now, in fairness, I don't think caffeine is what we smell, but when I smell coffee, I know I'm going to get my caffeine fix.

The Mad Scientists of Etsy theme for July and August 2011 is 'Chemistry' and I made this print in response.

No comments: