Friday, August 12, 2011

The Brick Works

Which reminds me, I never did tell you about our trip to the Brick Works. I've been wanting to check it out. We went the last Sunday in July, for the antique market. I wanted to see the graffiti in the old brick works themselves. It also has its own example of an urban marsh too. RJH thought it was a bit contrived, and the brick works a little too tamed, but I really enjoyed it. I think it's a great idea, reclaiming industrial space as art, event and nature space. I love, of course, that the graffiti is not only left, but featured. They have a farmer's market on Saturdays too. I also enjoyed the historical photos of the great Toronto fire of 1904. I can only imagine how hot it must have been in there with all the kilns firing, day and night, to rebuild the city core.

Brickworks
BrickworksBrickworksBrickworks
BrickworksBrickworksBrickworks
BrickworksBrickworksBrickworks
BrickworksBrickworksBrickworks
Brickworks
Brickworks
Brickworks
Brickworks
Brickworks foxBrickworks owl & beaverBrickworks jay
Turtle at the Brickworks
Heron at the Brickworks
Heron at the Brickworks

We saw snapping and painted turtles, and watched the great blue heron at length. The marsh was full of bees, butterflies, dragonflies and moths too. Another oasis within the city.

No comments: