Thursday, March 14, 2013

Newfoundland and Labrador linocut

Newfoundland and Labrador

The symbols of Newfoundland and Labrador, its provincial bird the Atlantic puffin and flower the purple pitcher plant cover the hand-carved map of The Rock (and Labrador). The block was inked 'à la poupée' (with different colours, black, orange, lime and burgundy, in different areas) and printed by hand on lovely Japanese kozo (or mulberry) paper. Each print is 23.5 cm by 31.8 cm (9.25" by 12.5"). The print is one of a variable edition of eight.

This linocut was no mean feat! I notice the remaining provinces and territories all have coastlines and islands. I pointed out the challenge of carving the irregular shape of Newfoundland and Labrador to my family. My brother "helpfully" pointed out that there were two rectilinear sections of the border of Labrador... but I'd like to see him cave fractal coastlines, in reverse.

My previous puffin linocut has proven popular. A couple of customers have shared their inspiration for buying the print, and each of them wrote of travelling to the coasts of England and Wales. It's funny for me, since I associate the puffin so strongly with Newfoundland (where, apparently 95% of North American Atlantic puffics come to bred).

I also notice that Newfoundland and Labrador is the only province to have selected a carnivorous plant as its floral emblem.

No comments: