Saturday, March 9, 2013

Baby W quilt

I realized I didn't share the baby quilt I made for my brother and sister-in-law's soon-to-be baby:
babyquilt1babyquilt4
babyquilt2babyquilt3

babyquilt

I wanted to avoid any colours which we tend to ascribe too specifically to girls or boys (the parents don't know if I'll have a niece or nephew, plus the whole gendered colour scheme thing is sort of demented), or anything too bright or colourful, because my SIL really goes for the monochromatic. It's a running joke with my brother that he's only allowed black and white art. I've made a few black and white animal prints for them, and they decided this would be a good theme for the nursery, so I knew including my block printed animals in the quilt would work. I realize there is a lot of colour here, actually, but charcoal to gray, white, pale yellow, turquoise, and purple is subdued for me, while still being cheerful enough for a baby. Luckily, the bedding they selected is in a gray and white pattern with elephants, so I think this goes well with the nursery. The quilt was a hit at my SIL's shower.

There was always a tradition in my mother's family that the grandmother would make every grandchild two quilts; at birth and when they reached 13. My own grandmother died fairly young and my mother never learned to quilt. I was always touched that my grandmother's sister (whom I had only met a couple of times) took on this duty and made quilts for all my grandmother's grandchildren. This was one of the reasons I wanted to learn how to make quilts. So, I'm happy to be able to make this for my niece or nephew to be (who is due now, in less than a month....)!

No comments: