Monday, December 26, 2011

Marley & Meat*

Marley - detail

This is a portrait of my "nephew", my brother's (the OB's) black Labrador Retriever, Marley. No relation to any other labs by the same name - this Marley was named after Bob. In this hand-carved lino block print, he's dreaming that the prime rib steak my brother bought is actually for him. Basically, this is inspired by the OB's Facebook page, which seems to consist of photos of large portions of red meat labeled 'dinner for 1', and photos of his dog looking cute. I have to think that Marley may envy my brother-the-carnivore's diet.

The portrait is printed in black and burgundy ink on Japanese kozo (or mulberry paper) with chine collé (added coloured paper) brown eyes. Each sheet is 9 inches wide and 14 inches tall (22.9 cm by 35.6 cm). There are 12 prints in the edition.

Marley

Marley is a sweet dog, so long as you aren't trying to rush out of the house, in which case he might chew the cord of the hair dryer or sabotage your attire, or unless you want to leave the park, in which case, he no longer knows you. I understand that all labs like to swim, but I believe that Marley is actually a seal disguised as a dog. He loves his people very much.

p.s. Happy Boxing Day!

*RJH made me use that title

No comments: