Friday, June 30, 2023

Cyanotype Experiments

Wet cyanotype with lemon slices
In this wet cyanotype the lemon slices are acting as both the translucent object to be imaged and a source of water and acid which affects the photochemistry. By Ele Willoughby, 2023, on watercolour paper 11" x 14"

I have been experimenting with cyanotypes. A cyanotype is an early photographic method, first used in 1842, which produces a cyan blue print used today for monochromatic art or blueprints. It is made using a slow-reacting, photographic printing formulation sensitive to a limited near ultraviolet and blue light spectrum, the range 300nm to 400nm known as UVA radiation. Two chemicals are mixed: potassium ferricyanide and ferric ammonium citrate, and coated on a surface. I usually use watercolour paper and then water to develop and fix the image. Along with some straightforward botanical images, I have objects with interesting silhouettes like lace, notions and tools. I have also been combining these with images of my own linocuts on acetate. I have been experimenting with wet cyanotype, where you begin the developing right away by applying some water while exposing the surface, as well as messing with the chemistry with things like vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and spices. I have also tried adding things which themselves are light sensitive, like lilac dye, paprika and curry powder. The results always somewhat to completely unpredictable, especially since I have been using the sun as my source of UVA radiation. This week I started toning some of my cyanotypes by bleaching with washing soda which allows tannins to bond to iron in the emulsion so images can be tinted. You can use different sources of tannins but I started with things in my kitchen: green tea and coffee. I've also embellished some with my linocut prints. Here's a taste!


Cyanotype fern by Ele Willoughby
Cyanotype fern, 9" x 12", Cyanotype spots by Ele WilloughbyEle Willoughby, 2023

Cyanotype in spots, 11" x 14" by Ele Willoughby, 2023

Cyanotype with teacup pattern lace, wild geraniums and lemon balm, toned with green team 11" x 14" by Ele Willoughby, 2023

Octopus cyanotype, toned with green tea, 11" x 14" by Ele Willoughby, 2023

Wildflowers and grasses cyanotype with linocut moths, 8" x 10.25", by Ele Willoughby, 2023


No comments: