Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cat Pillows

So, I held off posting this because I didn't want young Master Ernerst W. (& parents) to see the original cat pillow (and 0th birthday gift) until it had arrived in the mail. I thought Mr. E would be fast friends with Mr. Sammy Samuelson, Cat, Esquire, so I made him his very own Sammy, block-printed, patchwork fabric cat. Knowing his mother, Lady Redjeep's pashion for thrifting, I thought some vintage fabric was in order. I also used my collection of letterpress letters and some embroidery to personalize it for him.

Ernest's cat pillow
Ernest's cat pillow

(Also, personally, the way gifts for infants tend to be highly gendered irks me, so I avoided all that non-sense: we've got denim and faux-bois on one hand and vintage florals on the other).

Next, someone who has been won over to appreciate cats by the intrepid Minouette, seemed to really love this print and project, so I made a second cat pillow:

Roger's cat pillow
Roger's cat pillow

And then, I thought I'd make a couple for the shop. Since these cats are the spawn of the Mr. Sammy Samuelson, Cat, Esquire lino block, their names are linked to his. Meet Samantha:

samatha cat pillow
samatha cat pillow

and Samir:
samir cat pillow
samir cat pillow

No comments: