Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tiny prints and Unity and Proportion

There's a nifty thing (and hashtag) on Instagram, started by printmaker Kat Flint (@flintkat): #tinyPrintTuesday. There's all these delightful tiny prints in my feed. I wanted to get in on it, and have decided to make tiny linocut prints of animals I have seen in my tiny backyard. I haven't set a specifically size, yet, but these are no more than 4 inches across. It's a great way to use tiny leftover bits of lino and scraps of paper. So far, I have made a cottontail rabbit, skunk and opossum.



Skunk, linocut by Ele Willoughby, 2023


Opossum
 linocut by Ele Willoughby, 2023


Cottontail, linocut by Ele Willoughby, 2023



I have also made a couple of prints for the #printerSolstice series of prompts. For Proportion, I combined my existing golden spiral lino block with my own hand print. For Unity, I had fun once again playing with the concept both literally (in mathematics, unity means 1) and figuratively (with unity of design). I built up a background of radiating colours with my gelliplate and added a linocut 1.

Proportion, 9" x 12" linocut with handprint by Ele Willoughby
Proportion, 9" x 12" linocut and handprint by Ele Willoughby, 2023

Unity, mono print by Ele Willoughby, 2023
Unity, 8" x 10", linocut and gel plate print by Ele Willoughby






No comments: