Monday, July 16, 2012

Mme Wu's Short Story



Mme. Wu and the Violation of Parity


I'm really pleased to say that my linocut portrait of Mme. Wu and its story are the subject of the Etsy blog's "Short Stories" series post today!

If you read this blog, you'll know that Chien-Shiung Wu (1912-1997) devised and executed a brilliant and ground-breaking experiment which showed for the first time that physics isn't necessarily the same if you reflect an experiment as in the mirror (and that the Weak force violates parity). I'm really flattered to get some press for my art and my shop, but I'm also happy to see that I can bring Mme. Wu's story to a bigger audience. You might recall, I wrote previously that I was inspired to make her portrait by the fact that not only have women been under-represented in physics, but even when they have been as extraordinary and successful as C.S. Wu, they have not been celebrated, making the female minority in physics even more invisible. Today, I get to make one of the heroines of physics a bit more visible. At the same time, I get to explain one of the ways in which our Universe, as we know it, is stranger than we imagine.

No comments: