Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween

I hope you all have a great Halloween and get some fabulous little trick-or-treaters tonight. Last year we did not get a single kid, so maybe this year, we'll go for a walk in town so we can see them in their costumes.

On Saturday I got up at about 7:40 to make it to the paper-making workshop. I managed to get out of the house with plenty of time to drive to Metchosin. Fortified by coffee, I actually felt pretty good about being up that early, since I was able to do something, when I would normally be sleeping. Unfortunately, I pulled the usual silly scientist trick of merely scanning the instructions from MapQuest, and assuming I knew where I was going, which I did not. It turns out there are two different "Burnside" roads within a couple of km. I drove up and down the wrong one and realized I wasn't going to figure this out on my own. So I stopped at a 7-11/gas station and asked the woman behind the counter for help. She looked at me like I was crazy and got out a street directory which she did not appear to know how to use. She turned to help the next customer behind me in line and he asked what I was looking for. I turned around and said, "Sooke Road" and he said "Oh, hey, how are you?" since he was John the medic on the Tully who sent me off for stitches this summer and got to take them out gleefully (they rarely get any interesting injuries to treat apparently) mid-cruise! He drew me a map.

I got there 20 minutes late, but that was okay. The teacher was a wonderfully calm, Buddhist artist with a huge studio in the country. There were 5 other students- a local mother-daughter set, two students from the international Pearson College (alma mater of our former housemate Maria), and a women from Brentwood. No one had come as far as I. We made cotton and abacca paper first. We got to try different sized frames and deckles. After lunch we could basically try whatever struck our fancy. I had fun working with a mixture of 7 types of fibres and found paper inclusions. I even found a Bathurst streetcar transfer to include to remind me of home. I think the results will be quite something. Others focused on lamination or combining different types of pulp in a single sheet. It was interesting to see what attracted different people and the paper that was made. We cleaned up at 3:00 and then discussed what we had made. The teacher said I appeared quite patient and that I knew exactly what I wanted. I'm always surprised when someone tells me I'm patient since I feel impatient, but I do generally have a good idea of what I'm trying to create. I can't wait to see the finished products.

I was hoping to go back to Metchosin to pick up my dried paper yesterday, but no such luck. I took Di downtown when I went to tour the drill ship. Luckily Sam reminded us about the time change, so I wasn't an hour early, like my colleague B. Another colleague T. admitted that he had arrived a WEEK early, since he mixed up the dates. This made me feel better about playing the silly scientist's idiot navigation game the previous day. Unfortunately, the tour was 1.5 hours, rather than 20 minutes as advertised. So I was quite late meeting Di. Then I rushed to catch the last minutes of annual Halloween super arts supply sale. Di had convinced the landgirl to store the unwanted bed in his mini-studio elsewhere. It blocked much of the room, but was used as a place to stack vinyl records. Thus to complete his studio transformation he needed some more furnishings to store records and stack electronic recording devices of various sorts. Sam and Di and I braved Value Village in the height of the pre-Halloween buying frenzy. I spotted a great piece of furniture, clearly designed for records and record player, for $20. Along with a $12 cabinet, we were set. Except, of course, it did not fit in the trunk or the backseat, and it was already dark at 5:00 pm, and of course, it was raining, again. So after much exertion and discussion, I got the guys to shove it as far as it would go into the trunk and used my handy rope tying skills to tie the trunk down. We dropped off Sam and headed carefully back up the peninsula. I had to explain the concept of the blind spot and enlist Di's help, but we managed fine and it did not get too wet.

We went home, moved all the vinyl out yet again (as previously to remove the bed) so that the furniture could be moved in. Then we had to move the records back into the room. Then we watched "Grand Hotel" on DVD. We bought it and you should too. It's awesome. It stars Lionel and John Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, Wallace Stevens, need I go on? I cried, again.

I put up all the Halloween ornaments I made. Di said the glow-in-the-dark skeleton hanging from the light fixture in the kitchen keeps freaking him out. But that's rather the point isn't it?

Overall, quite the weekend.

No comments: